Winnipeg, Manitoba
Temple #169.
I made cinnamon rolls this morning and James delivered them to Kerri. I put an icing glaze on all of the rolls hoping that Kerri wouldn't mind as I know when she eats cake, she eats it without frosting. She said cinnamon rolls are the exception and they were delicious.
Bishop Crane conducted our sacrament meeting today. Before we sang the sacrament hymn, he asked us this question: "How will I show willingness to take upon me His name this week?"
Khloe Mack was to be the youth speaker in sacrament meeting today. She called in sick to Alex Dobson, the young women's president, so Sister Dobson took her place. Sister Dobson, looking like a young woman herself albeit she is the mother of 4, began her talk by asking the question: "What have I learned from the Holy Ghost this week?"
She talked about watching the rain on her front porch and how the water began washing their road away. She pondered on the power of water and how it can wash mud and rocks away. As she thought of water she thought of how the Savior is the living water. She then quoted this scripture: John 4:13-14 - Jesus answered and said unto her, Whosoever drinketh of this water shall thirst again: But whosoever drinketh of the water that I shall give him shall never thirst; but the water that I shall give him shall be in him a well of water springing up into everlasting life. His strength is the living water in our lives.
This is high council Sunday and Matt Hipps is the high councilman to speak in our ward today. His father, Robert Hipps is a member of our ward and a dear friend. Before Brother Hipps spoke, his speaking companion, Clara Olham is a young adult return mission from the Budapest, Hungary mission. Dr. Oldham, the doctor who did surgery on James's hand, and on whom he saw at the temple on Friday, and his wife whom I saw, are her parents. I guess this is Oldham week for us.
The topic for today's meeting: "I Will Walk with Jesus", which was the opening hymn. Sister Oldham began her talk by saying, "As we walk with Jesus and feel of His love, we will love others more. Christ is the greatest gift giver and He is the ultimate gift. We become like Him as we walk with Him in prayer, scripture study, temple attendance, and service. In D&C 88:63 it says: "Draw near unto me and I will draw near unto you." As we walk with Him we become more like Him. We increase in charity, the pure love of Christ. We love others as He loves them. Sister Oldham quoted one of her missionary companions by saying: "We will never look into the eyes of someone Christ doesn't love." I believe this was my favorite quote of the day. Sister Oldham challenged us to pray everyday for the gift of charity. I would add to Sister Oldham's talk that the Holy Ghost is the conveyer of Jesus Christ's love. It is through the Holy Ghost we feel His love. Jesus sent the Holy Ghost to comfort us, to teach us and to help us feel of His love.
Before Brother Hipps spoke we sang "As I Have Loved You" and Debbie Schwarz signed the song using sign language. I loved watching her as she does it with such feeling. Debbie has finished the temple prep classes but can't go to the temple until October. She has to wait a year from her baptism. The Snowflake temple will be closed so she is going to the Mesa temple. I told her I would love to come, and she said she would love to have me there.
Brother Hipps didn't have a lot of time but here are some things I remember from his talk: "The little things we do consistently build character as we strive to become like Christ. President D. Todd Christofferson has said: "It is in emulating the character of Christ that we become the 'manner of persons' we ought to be. Acquiring the character of Christ is one of the most important ways we take His name upon us." Christ says to us: "You are mine", "I know you", "I intend to bring you home."
Amy Bowen taught the Sunday School lesson on Job and did a great job. Here are my takeaways from this week's "Come Follow Me":
1) I can trust God in all circumstances. 2) Jesus Christ is my Redeemer 3) When He hath tried me I shall come forth as gold 4) God's perspective is greater than mine.
I learned what the word crucible means. Here is the definition:
A crucible is a heat-resistant container used to melt metals or other materials at very high temperatures to burn off the dross or impurities. It also means a severe trial or a place where different forces interact to cause profound change. I love how this applies to Job, especially when he says "He hath tried me and I shall come forth as gold."
People I spoke to at church: A hug and a kiss and a birthday wish from Cress Miller. A happy birthday and kiss from Millie Scott. Kerri told me she loved the cinnamon rolls. Judy Hunter gave me a beautiful homemade birthday card. I talked to her through a text. Joyce told me all about her sister Ingrid's husband who is in the hospital in Utah with all kinds of health issues. That's why Ingrid isn't here. I gave Sandra Wilhelm a baby card for Andy & Lily. I gave Debbie Schwarz RS handouts and talked to her about going to the temple in Mesa. Susan Goodman, Janna, Brother Hipps, Amy & Cope Reynolds. Amy and I want to know what to do about banana bread that doesn't get done in the middle. Cope says he doesn't care because it tastes good anyway.
James and I fixed lunch together. We warmed up the ribs from Costco and cooked the Taylor corn-on-the-cob and heated up a can of Ranch Style beans. When we sat down to eat James said this was the best Sunday dinner he has had in a long time. It certainly was one of the easiest. The smoked ribs were delicious and so was the corn and beans!
James must have been really tired. He slept for about 4 hours this afternoon. Tom was right there with him. During my rest time I read from Emma M. Lion volume 8, listened to Steven Sharp Nelson on "Follow Him" and worked on my blog.
"Covenant blessing flow from ongoing faithfulness, not merely from past participation."
- Elder Brian J. Holmes
Job 42:10
And the LORD turned the captivity of Job, when he prayed for his friends: also the LORD gave Job twice as much as he had before.
No comments:
Post a Comment