Monday, October 18, 2021

Sun, Oct 17th,2021:Temple#63: Sunday talksLiana & Andersons, Pam's treats, Scarlett's Primary Program, Sabbath w Charlie & Scarlett

 

Detroit, Michigan
63rd operating temple
Dedicated: 23 Oct 1999
By: Gordon B. Hinckley



Jesus Christ, Redeemer
Hebrews 9:28
So Christ was once offered to bear the sins of many; and unto them that look for him shall he appear the second time without sin unto salvation.
Book of Mormon
3 Nephi 7:1-14
D&C
Review 115-120
"Come Follow Me"
Review "His Sacrifice Shall Be More Sacred Unto Me Than His Increase"
OctGenCon
"I Pray He'll Use Us"
Sister Sharon Eubank
First Counselor in the Relief Society General Presidency
Small efforts collectively make a big impact, magnifying the many individual things we do as disciples of Jesus Christ.

"Is There No Balm in Gilead?"
Elder Brent H. Nielson
Of the Presidency of the Seventy
The Savior's healing power is not just His ability to heal our bodies but, perhaps even more important, His ability to heal our hearts.


Restoration Proclamation
#2
Two hundred years ago, on a beautiful spring morning in 1820, young Joseph Smith, seeking to know which church to join, went into the woods to pray near his home in upstate New York, USA. He had questions regarding the salvation of his soul and trusted that God would direct him.

Inklings
"I Pray He'll Use Us"
Sharon Eubanks
Alma 1:23-33;1 Kings 19:1-8
Exodus 23:9; Hebrews 13:2
Mosiah 18:8-10

   I want to personally thank Autumn for posting pictures of Charlie and Scarlett and the time they have spent together these past few days. They played outside in the rain, went to a football game, attended an Oktoberfest which including an animal petting zoo, and last but not least, went dressed in costume to a Princess Ball. Is it any wonder Charlie was hesitant to greet her parents when they arrived?

As I sat in sacrament meeting listening to talks given by Liana Grapp, and Kim and Greg Andersen I looked a couple of rows ahead of us to where Brother and Sister Brady were sitting with four of their grandchildren. The Brady's are both 67 years old and they are raising some of their grandchildren. I thought about how I look forward to getting home after church and eating a little something and then taking a nap. I love the Sabbath. I thought what it would be like for Sister Brady when she got home. She would need to fix something to eat for these children. I wondered if she would find any quiet time to herself. Does Brother Brady help care for the children. As a former kindergarten teacher, hopefully he does.

Liana Grapp
 I love going to the temple to do baptisms. Liana shared baptism experiences at the temple doing her family names and then doing some for a recent convert that the missionaries had brought. She quoted Helaman 5:12 - And now, my sons, remember, remember that it is upon the rock of our Redeemer, who is Christ, the Son of God, that ye must build your foundation; that when the devil shall send forth his mighty winds, yea, his shafts in the whirlwind, yea, whan all his hail and his mighty storm shall beat upon you, it shall have no power over you to drag you down to the gulf of misery and endless wo, because of the rock upon which ye are built, which is a sure foundation, a foundation whereon if men build they cannot fall
Liana based her talk on President Nelson's conference talk. Although she just turned 13, she wrote her own talk. I mean, after all, she is writing a novel. Christ is the spiritual rock of our foundation. She read both sacrament prayers and talked about the importance of remembering the Savior. "Our greatest need is to remember." -Spencer W. Kimball. Make time for the Lord and take your children to the temple often. This was Liana's closing advice before bearing her testimony.

Kim Anderson
The most important message from both general and stake conference for me was to be kind. Matthew 22:36-40 Master, which is the great commandment in the law? Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind. This is the first and great commandment. And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets.
Kim told what a wonderful example her mother was of loving people. She worked at Marie Callender's in the valley for 25 years. She made friends with the winter visitor's and the staff at the restaurant. She helped those who were hispanic to understand english. They called her mama. One Christmas over 50 people knocked on her door to wish her a marry Christmas. Her Mexican friends had come with their families to wish her a Merry Christmas. Kim used Elder Renlund's conference message as the basis for her talk. The title of Elder Renlund's talk:"The Peace of Christ Abolishes Enmity".Elder Renlund says that the pandemic is a spiritual stress test. We need to change our hearts and become unified disciples of Jesus Christ. Unity requires effort. Offer kind words. Kim says she tells herself this about people with whom she disagrees: "They are doing the best they can with the information they have." When the love of Christ envelops our lives, we approach disagreements with meekness, patience, and kindness. 

Greg Anderson
Ward mission leader. Former Navy Seal, CIA Agent, and Chief of Police in Scottsdale. He joined the Church in 1977 but was inactive for 40 years. He is a great guy and very humble. James loves him and he loves James. Brother Anderson's talk was based on Elder Holland's talk, "The Greatest Possession". Quoting Elder Holland:
"Each of us is to come to Christ with uncompromised commitment to His gospel. Brother Anderson read the story of the rich young ruler in Mark 10:17-22. He spoke of unburdening our sins to Christ. We must yield to Him and seek a higher and holier life. He shared a scripture from 4 Nephi 1:15 - And it came to pass that there was no contention in the land, because of the love of God which did dwell in the hearts of the people.

 Brother Scott taught Sunday School again. It has been a month since we met in Sunday School and he tried to go over all of the sections we missed. I was hoping he would just stick to this week's lesson. We had a good gospel discussion in spite of not studying this week's lesson. 

My friend Pam left us treats again this week. These were from Safeway, two huge muffins, two apple fritters, two bear claws and two donuts. Guess what I had for lunch. 

Talked to Kacey and Jared about their trip to the temple. They did sealings. One of Kacey's relatives they did a sealing for has not been baptized. Kacey got permission from a cousin to do the baptism, etc. She is very excited. 

James and I both indexed today and I worked on my blog. We both texted Cammy Grapp to tell her how awesome Liana did. 

Some other random things that happen today. 
I tried to do Relief Society ministering interviews. I called three people and only heard back from two. I will keep working on the third and then call another one next week. By the end of the quarter if I continue doing this I will have all my interviews done. 

Bishop Hall and his family are back in our ward. 

 
Sunshine Charlie




 Scarlett's Primary Program













Going to this bakery on Saturday








No comments: