Sunday, October 4, 2026

Monday, August 31st, 2026: Goodbye to Jared @ 5:37 am Texas time, Buc-ee's new travel shoes, chicken salad, gas for $2.69, James feeds grackle's, bumper to bumper traffic, Sis Eubank's "Doing Small Things w/ Great Love" Hurricane Mitch 1998 11,000 people in Honduras died,

 

Feather River, California
Temple #184.

We left Jared and gave him a hug and said goodbye at 5:37 am Texas time. Our first stop was at Buc-ee's for some more of that delicious chicken salad. I also bought me some new travel shoes. They are like a rubber sandal, brand name Reef. They are slip-ons and so comfortable.
When I came out the door I saw James standing by our car with a gaggle of grackles. Is that right? I know it's a gaggle of geese. I like gaggle of grackles. Here is a picture after a few of them flew away. He was feeding them.

The man loves black birds

We are in the Dallas traffic jam, bumper to bumper. James and I listened to Sister Sharon Eubank's new audio book: "Doing Small Things with Great Love." This is a book all about service. I learned something about Hurricane Mitch which happened in Honduras when Darrel was on his mission in 1998. I did not know that 11,000 people died in Hurricane Mitch and my son was there. He and the other missionaries were protected by their mission president who called the missionaries home to the mission home.

After we finished Sister Eubank's book we listened to some of "Follow Him" with the guest star being a Michael Balaam. Michael was Satan in the old temple videos. He is also an opera singer. He told about his amazing son who has spina bifida. 

I got a text from Kacey. She ordered me the kitchen cloths she uses that I liked so well. Mine are going to be in a sunflower design. Thank you Kacey!

We listened to Carrie Underwood sing, "How Great Thou Art", read Psalm 146 where is says that joy is a gift from God. What a great gift!

It is 2:55pm New Mexico time, they are an hour ahead of Arizona, and we are in the city of Roswell. I read in the Church News that the location for the Queen Creek temple has been announced. I bet the members in Queen Creek are excited!

Now we are at the Arby's in Socorro where my steak nuggets are waiting for me. The entire dining area is empty except for us. 

Soon we are in Pie Town, but not for very long, there isn't much there. Quemado has a horse hotel. Ha Ha. There were so many wildflowers by the side of the road. James stopped and picked some for me.

We are finally home after 16.5 hours! A patrolman flashed his lights at James about a mile or so from Vernon. I guess he got excited we were almost home and was speeding. 

Kim helped us unload the car. We made a pile of blankets in our bedroom. There was pumpkin pecan bread, a birthday card and an Amazon gift card all waiting for me on the kitchen counter. 

Kim and I watched the finale of "Paris Is Always A Good Idea." Tom slept on my lap while I was watching T.V. It's good to be home.

More Photos from Longview

A picture in Kacey & Jared's home

Showing me her butterfly balloon

The Barbie hospital



Kacey's Grand Highlander

James by our car, Celeste.

Summer & John brought Cane's chicken and sauce
to the luncheon on Saturday.

Kacey's delicious potato salad

Jared's smoked beans and ribs. 
Those ribs were finger lickin' good!











 





No comments: