Friday, September 4, 2026

Sunday, August 23rd, 2026: Packed & rdy to go, up early to finish outline & quotes, my Bohemian dress, arrived early, setup easy, best setup ever, talk w/ Kerri about Dominique, handouts to Primary & YW, visit w/friends, Bishop introduces sacrament, Brady's & Karmalynn, Debbie's miracle, lunch, R&R, clean upstairs, CFM weekly review, Jared, & friends coming

 

San Juan, Puerto Rico
Temple #176


Most everything for my lesson is packed and ready to go. I got up early to finish my outline and quotes to handout. 

I wore what I call my Bohemian dress today. I tried to take a selfie but you can't really see the dress very well.

Just a couple of oldies looking 
forward to a wonderful Sabbath day.

We arrived at the church early and no one was meeting in the Relief Society room for ward counsel, so I was able to setup. I should have taken a picture, it was my best setup ever. 

Kerri came in to setup the microphone system and we talked about her niece, Dominique. Dominique has moved back down to the valley to be close to her kids, but it's highly unlikely she will get custody with no job or very few assets. 

After setting up James and I went down to the chapel to look for someone from Primary and Young Women to give handouts to. I found Sister Putz from Primary and James saw Susan Crane from Young Women's.

Before sacrament meeting started I visited with a few friends: Millie Scott, Oksana, Evelyn Carter, Donna Beckham, Kristina Hipps, and Tamara Applegate. I got several compliments on my dress and the belt I wore with it. 

Bishop conducted sacrament meeting. To introduce the sacrament, he talked about the Savior in 3 Nephi 11 reaching out to the one and how he encouraged spiritual renewal and growth which is what the sacrament is all about, and repenting of course. Our remission of sins is ongoing. We need to seek, and knock to come unto Him. 

Karmalynn Edwards was the youth speaker today. It was her first time. She is the granddaughter of the main speakers, Mike & Chris Brady. She spoke from "For the Strength of Youth" manual and did very well. I had a hard time hearing but here is something she said:
We can't control what others do, but we can choose how we react to them. You don't have to be perfect. Heavenly Father doesn't compare us with others. 

Chris Brady John 13:34-35 As I have loved you, love one another. "Love All, Love Each", Elder Causse. As we know others better we learn to love them more. We love as we serve and ask questions to get to know others better. We should feel and express Christlike love to all. Caring for others is a way to connect them with Christ. As we extend Christlike love to each person, our eyes are opened to their divine potential. Though He was often surrounded by multitudes, the Savior always gave His full attention to the one - one sheep, one leper, one Samaritan woman, one child, one soul at a time. 

We have two Elder Allens serving in our ward as the full-time missionaries. One of them played the piano and the other song the special musical number, "I Am Not Ashamed." 

Mike Brady I'm not sure what the theme of Brother Brady's talk was but he mainly spoke about his family history here in Vernon. He has lived in Vernon all of his life. His pioneer grandparents came here in the early 1800's. Brother Brady's grandparents rejoiced when they came to Vernon. He learned from his grandmother to be forgiving. He learned from his grandfather to work hard and to always do your best. Family always helped each and those around them in need. They made it through hard times. 

When I asked the sisters who read the lesson Lorraine Vaught said she listened to the lesson. 

My introduction to the lesson went something like this:
You all just came from partaking of the sacrament and I don't imagine that you committed any sins while coming down the hallway. This means that you brought the Spirit with you into this class. I invite Him to stay and bear witness to us of eternal truths.

I then told about the wonderful week I had, all of the things I did and the people I visited with, including my birthday. I said it was almost a perfect week until last night. I told about the misunderstanding James and I had about the fan and how I went to bed a little sad. One thing about a misunderstanding, it creates an opportunity to apologize and forgive, which I did this morning before coming to Church. How grateful I am for the principle of repentance!
We went through the lesson, using Peter's story to illustrate "Best Days and Worst Days." I felt good about the lesson when we were finished. As I was talking with Judy Hunter, who teaches the temple prep class, she mentioned to me that Debbie Schwarz would be going through the temple on the 28th, and the Kostusiak's would be going on the 29th. I was surprised because Debbie was baptized in October and I thought she had to wait a year. Judy said that Bishop Crane called the First Presidency and told them about Debbie and how our temple would be closed in October and how much she wanted to go to the Snowflake temple. The First Presidency prayed over Debbie's name and gave her permission to go this month before our temple closes. I told Debbie how special she was and she said: "I know, I feel so loved." I told her I wouldn't be hear because I was going to Texas for my granddaughter's baptism but I wished her all the very best. She thanked me and gave me a hug. 

James and I had a simple lunch before our rest time. Here is what I ate:

Taylor corn, a mole enchilada, cottage
cheese and avocado.

Jared Ammon and a couple of friends are coming up tonight for a visit. James and I went upstairs to do a little cleaning. It turned out to be more than we thought and we vowed we would never do this on Sunday again. 

Here is this week's "Come Follow Me" review:
1. "I have trusted ... in the Lord."
2.  Jesus Christ is the promised Messiah.
3. "The earth is full of the goodness of the Lord."..
4. The word of the Lord is Powerful, "rejoicing the heart."
5. The Savior can help me be pure so I can enter God's presence.

"If we are to succeed in developing a Christlike character, we must possess His motivations - His thoughts, desires, and intents of the heart."
D. Todd Christofferson

Psalm 40:5
Many, O LORD my God, are thy wonderful works which thou hast done, and thy thoughts which are to us-ward: they cannot be reckoned up in order unto thee: if I would declare and speak of them, they are more than can be numbered.



Today's handouts

Baskets - To - Go
Cookies and Handouts













No comments: